Facilitative Leadership: an Advanced Facilitation Course in London
Course overview: Improving your facilitation skills
Working in a fast paced, ever changing and ambiguous context, where traditional and hierarchical ways of leading, learning and communicating are becoming extinct, the need to facilitate group conversations skilfully with presence and authenticity is a core capacity for leaders and learning professionals.
Harnessing collective intelligence and bringing about personal, group and organisational transformation is an achievable goal that our new Facilitative Leadership programme enables you to meet.
This facilitation programme takes place in Central London, and is a modular practical, experiential programme. It is both pragmatic and profound, and delivered by experts in the field of individual, group and behavioural change.
This programme is for leaders or learning professionals leading groups and facilitating insightful dialogue and learning conversations.
The programme enriches their ability to connect colleagues and teams with skill and confidence in all situations, and to create the conditions for conversational change and insight. The course helps participants to successfully navigate the challenges of communicating and learning in today's diverse and complex business world.
The course is delivered by experienced coaches and leadership development professionals Damion Wonfor and Janie Van Hool. You can find out more about our faculty members here.
Key features of our facilitation skills course
Below you'll find a summary of the key features of our Facilitative Leadership course - if you have any queries at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.
In order to prepare you for the programme, to clarify any concerns and to enable you to set personal objectives, we provide a pre-programme session with our faculty. This provides an effective means of introducing you to the requirements of the programme as well as connecting with your cohort before the programme begins.
3 x Experiential Modules
Mastering Self as Facilitator – 2 days in London
Leading the Group – 2 days in London
Facilitation Mastery – 1 day in London.
Our modules cover specific facilitation and group learning topics in a variety of learning styles, introduce key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a facilitator.
They also seek to teach you the skills, techniques, and models of group dialogue and dynamics to develop your ability to work in increasingly challenging situations.
Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and the application in a working context.
Workplace Facilitation Practice
Throughout the programme, you will be expected to identify and formally work with a learning group outside of the workshops.
You will be observed during the programme and will receive faculty feedback against our Facilitative Leadership competence areas. You will also have the opportunity to be videoed whilst facilitating on the modules.
Formal Group Supervision session
All participants receive 4 x 1.5 hour virtual group supervision sessions with our faculty.
Action Learning Set
Participants will work in small virtual groups in between each of the modules to practise their facilitation skills and receive peer support and feedback.
Participants will be encouraged to develop a reflective practice during the course of the programme. This will enable you to deepen your learning from the course and awareness of your developing practice as a Facilitator.
A post-programme session is held a few weeks after the completion of the final module (Facilitation Mastery). This enables participants to reflect on their learning over the course of the programme.
Just click on the links below to see more detail on the contents / learning outcomes of each of the modules on this course:
Module 1: Mastering Self as Facilitator (2 days)
- Creating the container and learning environment
- Learning and practising facilitation model
- Developing a facilitation toolkit
- Building core facilitator skills such as incisive questioning and embodied listening
- Exploring the continuum of facilitation approaches
- Mastering the group learning space
- Developing an authentic style as a facilitator with a capacity to adapt to have most impact within a group
- Understanding and managing individual presence and authority
- Learning ways to work with Group Dynamics
- Starting to develop ‘self as instrument’ for change
- Building confidence and appreciation of own facilitation style through repeated practise and feedback from our Faculty and fellow participants.
Module 2: Leading the Group (2 days)
- Deepening ability to work with group dialogue
- Learning ways to develop trust with and within the group
- Working with emergence and insight rather than being lead by content
- Building capability to work assertively within group process
- Continuing to build confidence and appreciation of own facilitation style through repeated practise and feedback from our faculty and fellow participants.
Module 3: Facilitation Mastery (1 day)
- Understanding how to manage resistance and conflict within the group
- Learning ways to harness the group’s energy and action
- Understand and apply different facilitation methodologies to create further flexibility in approach
- Learning the practice of ‘co-facilitation’
- Building a deep sense of skill and style as a facilitator together with capacity to flex to meet the needs of the group and dialogue.
Dates, Venue and Fees
Module 1: Mastering Self - 11 and 12 October 2018
Module 2: Leading the Group - 29 November 2018
Module 3: Facilitation Mastery - 24 January 2019
Module 1: Mastering Self - 21 and 22 March 2019
Module 2: Leading the Group - 1 and 2 May 2019
Module 3: Facilitation Mastery - 27 June 2019
The course is a blended programme which mixes both face-to-face training and online supervision sessions. Face-to-face training takes place in Central London, in a comfortable boutique-style venue. Online modules are live group supervision sessions conducted by a member of our faculty.
The fee for this programme is as follows:
•Individual £2,500 + VAT
•Corporate £3,000 + VAT
“The content was just right, the pace was perfect and the experience with the group was incredible! The way that Janie and Damion work together was wonderful to be a part of.”
"This was an excellent two days. I really enjoyed the pace and content of the workshop. There was time for reflection and great content and feedback."
"The energy between Damion and Janie was great. They both have different facilitative styles and approaches but these compliment each other and bring a nice dynamic to the workshop. "
"I found the workshop so informative. I went in not knowing what to expect and learned so much in a very safe and supportive environment"