Foundation certificate in transformational coaching (EMCC Foundation Level Qualification, London)
Gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to coach effectively
Our EMCC-accredited Foundation Certificate in Transformational Coaching programme is aimed at:
senior leaders and managers
those working in a HR or a learning and development role
to equip them with the knowledge, skills and confidence to coach effectively within their existing role or to act as an internal coach. It also provides a foundational training course in developing towards becoming a professional coach.
Participants receive the EMCC Foundation Level Qualification upon completing this course.
By completing this 6-month programme you will:
develop your self awareness, presence and resourcefulness as a coach
learn how to build an effective coaching contract and relationship, and manage these over a 1-2-1 coaching programme
understand and be able to to manage the boundaries for a coaching programme
define modern workplace coaching and understand the range of coaching styles
understand the key skills and models for behavioural coaching and be able to apply these in a coaching relationship
have used a number of different psychological concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
develop the capacity to work face-to-face and virtually as a 1-2-1 coach
become accredited in a Leadership 360-Feedback tool
explore the concepts of ethical and professional practice as a coach and learn the importance of supervision within coaching
build confidence and appreciation of your own coaching style through repeated practise and feedback from our faculty and fellow participants.
Our Foundation Certificate in Transformational Coaching programme includes:
Pre-programme 1-2-1 session with your Personal Tutor
In order to prepare you for the programme, clarify any concerns and to enable you to set personal objectives, you will take part in a pre-course telephone 1-2-1 briefing session. This provides an effective way to introduce you to the requirements of the programme, and to assess your prior experience for accreditation purposes.
Emotional Intelligence self-assessment
As part of the pre-programme 1-2-1 call, you will also receive an emotional intelligence self assessment (EQi) that you will complete as part of your preparatory work. We believe Emotional Intelligence is an important capacity underpinning coach training.
4 Experiential Modules:
Introduction to Fundamentals of Transformational Coaching - 2 days in London
Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 0.5 day (online)
Coaching and Challenge - 0.5 day (online)
Core Coaching Skills - 1 day in London
Our modules cover specific coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduces key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a coach. They also seek to teach you the skills, techniques, and models of transformational coaching to develop your ability to work in increasingly challenging situations. Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and the application in a working context.
Accreditation in a Leadership 360 Feedback tool
Workplace Coaching Practice
Throughout the programme, you will be expected to identify and formally coach 2 coachees outside of the workshops. For this level of accreditation you will complete 8 hours of coaching practice.
Undertaking 1-2-1 Coaching
We believe that to be a good coach you need to have experienced the development journey of being a coachee. It is for this reason we will ask you to be coached and you will receive 4 x 1 hour coaching sessions whilst on the programme.
You will be observed on each of the modules and receive written faculty feedback against the 8 competence areas at Foundation level. You will also have the opportunity to be video'd whilst coaching on the modules.
Formal coaching supervision sessions
All participants receive 2 x 2 hour virtual group supervision sessions, and a 1-hour virtual 1-2-1 supervision session with one of our accredited coach supervisors.
A post-programme session takes place after the completion of the final module (core coaching skills). This enables you to reflect on your learning over the course of their programme. It will also provide you with guidance on the creation and completion of your assessed portfolio of learning.
Portfolio of learning
A portfolio of learning is a requirement of this programme and provides evidence of a your learning and development against the EMCC Competence framework at foundation level. It also includes evidence of your development journey, experience and learning from being coached, as well as a written case study covering your work with a coaching client.
This course is comprised of four modules. See below to find out more about the specific content of each.
Longer modules involve face-to-face training, in Central London; others are online. Online modules are live group learning sessions conducted by a member of our faculty.
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals of Coaching
Our first 2-day module introduces you to the background of coaching and the key fields which have influenced its growth and practice today. You will then learn the fundamental pillars of great coaching conversations and how to effectively structure and facilitate a conversation with a coachee. Critical coaching skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning will be developed too.
Building on the foundational elements of day one, we then cover key areas such as coaching styles, boundaries and critically developing an effective coaching relationship with clients. We also explore the importance of contracting during the coaching relationship. Finally, we discuss the reflective practice and accreditation requirements for the programme.
By completing this module, you will:
- develop core coaching knowledge, skills and behaviours
- learn how to facilitate a conversation using behavioural coaching models
- apply a range of coaching styles in a conversation to maximise performance and impact
- learn key skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning
- explore how to prepare yourself and clients for a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- understand the boundaries of a coaching relationship and how to manage these
- apply insights from neuropsychology to the coaching relationship
- learn how to develop an effective coaching relationship and a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- develop an understanding of the importance of contracting throughout the coaching relationship
- explore the importance of supervision within coaching
- learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching and plan for new learning
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence
During this half-day module you will explore the concept of emotional intelligence, applying this both to your own development as a coach and your work with leaders. We will focus on the concept of developing self awareness, and look at the interventions coaches can utilise to develop this within their clients. We also explore the use of 360 degree feedback within coaching programmes, and you will be accredited to use our Leadership 360 Feedback tool.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore the concept of emotional intelligence and its relevance to workplace coaching
- understand how to develop an emotional intelligence coaching programme with a client
- learn about the different concepts and tools which generate self-awareness in clients
- explore the use of 360 degree feedback tools within leadership coaching and learn how to utilise these instruments effectively and pragmatically within a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- become accredited in the 'Insightful Leader' 360 Feedback tool.
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge
This half-day module will help you work with resistance to behavioural change and support clients in sustaining learning and action between coaching sessions. We also explore the concept of challenge within a coaching conversation and practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee. We also deepen your understanding and capacity of working with emotions within coaching to enable change, insight and outcomes.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore a number of different concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
- understand potential resistance to behavioural change and the brain-based approaches to work with this
- deepen participants' capability to work with emotion in a coaching session
- explore the use of challenge to create greater insight and development stretch
- practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee
- learn how to use practical tools which enable the coachee to sustain their development outside of the coaching session.
Module 4: Core Coaching Skills
This final 1-day module aims to synthesise your learning and development as a coach.
During it, we'll look at how to help coachees work through organisational change, by developing your ability to use specific models and frameworks to facilitate this. We will deepen your repertoire of coaching skills and interventions, introducing the value of bringing more solution-focused and appreciative approaches to your coaching conversations as a way of generating further insight.
As this is the final unit of this programme, we also learn how to effectively manage the ending of a coaching relationship and explore how you can maintain a professional and ethical practice as a coach.
Finally, we will review accreditation requirements for the submission of your learning portfolio.
By completing this unit, you will:
- explore and apply the concept of the 'inner game' to self and clients
- understand how to support a coachee to work with organisational change
- learn how to end a coaching programme effectively
- learn how to use appreciative and solution focused approaches in coaching
- explored the importance of ethical practice as a coach
- continue to learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Dates, venue and fees
The next programmes take place on the following dates:
Cohort 4 - FULLY BOOKED
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals - 8 and 9 October 2019 (London, 2-day session)
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 18 November 2019 (online, half-day session)
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge - 17 December 2019 (online, half-day session)
Module 4: Core Coaching Skills - 15 January 2020 (London, 1-day session)
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals - 3 and 4 March 2020 (London, 2 day session)
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 20 April 2020 (online, half-day session)
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge -1 June 2020 (online, half-day session)
Module 4: Core Coaching Skills - 1 July 2020 (London, 1 day session)
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals - 7 and 8 October 2020 (London, 2 day session)
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 23 November 2020 (online, half day session)
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge - 5 January 2021 (online, half day session)
Module 4: Core Coaching Skills - 4 February 2021 (London, 1 day session)
The course is a blended programme which mixes both face-to-face training and online sessions. Face-to-face training takes place at Coram, based just 10 minutes’ walk from King's Cross, the venue offers bright and spacious training rooms and outdoor space in which we can work. By basing our programmes here, we are also supporting the work that Coram are doing to improve the lives of children across the UK. Online modules are live group learning sessions conducted by a member of our faculty.
The fee for this programme is £2000 + VAT. Please familiarise yourself with the course terms and conditions, including payment and refund policies, before applying - and if you have any queries at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.