Diploma in Transformational Coaching (EMCC Practitioner Level Qualification, London)
A course for people who are passionate about becoming a professional leadership coach
This EMCC-accredited Diploma in Coaching is our flagship programme, and is aimed at people who are passionate about developing and supporting others, and wish to develop as a professional coach (internally or externally).
Participants receive the EMCC Practitioner Level Qualification upon completing the course.
By completing this 12-month programme you will:
develop deep levels of self-awareness, presence and resourcefulness as a coach
understand and take responsibility for your own ethical and professional practice as a coach, via participation in regular coaching supervision and CPD
learn how to build, manage and end an effective coaching contract and relationship with a coachee and client organisation
learn how to manage expectations and the boundaries of coaching
develop a range of coaching approaches to meet the needs of individual clients and maximise impact and change
learn about key transformational coaching skills and psychological models, and be able to use these in a coaching relationship to improve learning, outcomes and behavioural change
develop the capacity to work face-to-face and virtually as a 1-2-1 coach
build a coaching toolkit to enable you to meet critical coaching needs within organisations
learn how to apply a wide variety of psychological concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in clients and enable personal change
develop against the EMCC Practitioner Level coach competencies and be assessed against these
become accredited in a Leadership 360 degree feedback tool
build confidence and appreciation of your own coaching style through repeated practice and feedback from our Faculty and fellow participants
identify your own coaching framework, approach and style
become accredited at Foundation or Practioner Level European Individual Award (EIA) with the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC).
Our Diploma in Transformational Coaching programme includes:
Pre-programme 1-2-1 session with your Personal Tutor
In order to prepare you for the programme, clarify any concerns and to enable you to set personal objectives, you will take part in a pre-course telephone 1-2-1 briefing session. This provides an effective way to introduce you to the requirements of the programme, and to assess your prior experience for accreditation purposes.
Emotional Intelligence self-assessment
As part of the pre-programme 1-2-1 call, you will also receive an emotional intelligence self assessment (EQi) that you will complete as part of your preparatory work. We believe Emotional Intelligence is an important capacity underpinning coach training.
10 Experiential Modules:
- Introduction to Fundamentals of Transformational Coaching - 2 days, London
- Coaching Emotional Intelligence - half-day, online
- Coaching and Challenge - half-day, online
- Coaching and Change - 2 days, London
- Coaching Resilience and Wellbeing - half-day, online
- Coaching Career and Transition - half-day, online
- Coaching Confidence - half-day, online
- Coaching and Mindfulness - 4 x 1 hour online sessions
- Embodied Coaching - 2 days, London
- Transformational Coach Integration Day - 1 day, London
Our modules cover specific coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduces key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a coach. They also seek to teach you the skills, techniques, and models of transformational coaching to develop your ability to work in increasingly challenging situations. Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and the application in a working context.
Accreditation in a Leadership 360 Feedback tool
Workplace coaching practice
Throughout the programme, you will be expected to identify and formally coach a number of clients outside of the workshops. For this level of accreditation you will complete 50 hours of coaching practice.
Undertaking 1-2-1 Coaching
We believe that to be a good coach you need to have experienced the development journey of being a coachee. It is for this reason we will ask you to be coached and you will receive six 1-hour coaching sessions whilst on the programme.
You will be observed on each of the modules and receive written faculty feedback against the 8 competence areas at Practitioner level. You will also have the opportunity to be video'd whilst coaching on the modules.
Formal coaching supervision sessions
All participants receive 4 x 2 hour virtual group supervision sessions, and 2 x 1 hour online 1-2-1 supervision sessions with one of our accredited coach supervisors.
Practical coaching assessment
On the final module you will be assessed by a member of our faculty against the eight competence areas at Practitioner Level. This assessment is to give you confidence in your future work as a coach.
A post-programme session takes place after the completion of the final module (Transformational Coach Integration Days). This enables you to reflect on your learning over the course of their programme. It will also provide you with guidance on the creation and completion of your assessed portfolio of learning, including the assignments.
Portfolio of learning
A portfolio of learning is a requirement of this programme and provides evidence of a your learning and development against the EMCC Competence framework at practitioner level. It also includes evidence of your development journey, experience and learning from your coaching practice, as well as written assignments.
Below you'll find a full list of all the modules on this programme - just click on a module title to view more details.
Longer modules involve face-to-face training, in Central London; others are online. Online modules are live group learning sessions conducted by a member of our faculty.
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals of Coaching
Our first 2-day module introduces you to the background of coaching and the key fields which have influenced its growth and practice today. You will then learn the fundamental pillars of great coaching conversations and how to effectively structure and facilitate a conversation with a coachee. Critical coaching skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning will be developed too.
Building on the foundational elements of day one, we then cover key areas such as coaching styles, boundaries and critically developing an effective coaching relationship with clients. We also explore the importance of contracting during the coaching relationship. Finally, we discuss the reflective practice and accreditation requirements for the programme.
By completing this module, you will:
- develop core coaching knowledge, skills and behaviours
- learn how to facilitate a conversation using behavioural coaching models
- apply a range of coaching styles in a conversation to maximise performance and impact
- learn key skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning
- explore how to prepare yourself and clients for a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- understand the boundaries of a coaching relationship and how to manage these
- apply insights from neuropsychology to the coaching relationship
- learn how to develop an effective coaching relationship and a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- develop an understanding of the importance of contracting throughout the coaching relationship
- explore the importance of supervision within coaching
- learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching and plan for new learning
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence
During this half-day module you will explore the concept of emotional intelligence, applying this both to your own development as a coach and your work with leaders. We will focus on the concept of developing self awareness, and look at the interventions coaches can utilise to develop this within their clients. We also explore the use of 360 degree feedback within coaching programmes, and you will be accredited to use our Leadership 360 Feedback tool.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore the concept of emotional intelligence and its relevance to workplace coaching
- understand how to develop an emotional intelligence coaching programme with a client
- learn about the different concepts and tools which generate self-awareness in clients
- explore the use of 360 degree feedback tools within leadership coaching and learn how to utilise these instruments effectively and pragmatically within a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- become accredited in the 'Insightful Leader' 360 Feedback tool.
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge
This half-day module will help you work with resistance to behavioural change and support clients in sustaining learning and action between coaching sessions. We also explore the concept of challenge within a coaching conversation and practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee. We also deepen your understanding and capacity of working with emotions within coaching to enable change, insight and outcomes.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore a number of different concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
- understand potential resistance to behavioural change and the brain-based approaches to work with this
- deepen participants' capability to work with emotion in a coaching session
- explore the use of challenge to create greater insight and development stretch
- practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee
- learn how to use practical tools which enable the coachee to sustain their development outside of the coaching session.
Module 4: Coaching for Change
The focus of this 2-day module initially shifts to creating a deeper self-awareness of who you are becoming, and how you are developing as a practitioner in identifying preferences and opportunities for potential and growth.
We will then develop your capability to coach at a deeper level by working with your coachee's values and beliefs and use models for behavioural, personal and organisational change.
We also develop your capacity to use creative techniques for generating new awareness, insight and options. Finally, we expand your repertoire of coaching approaches by integrating appreciative and solution-focused models.
Over the course of this 2-day module, you will:
- explore the concept of the 'inner game'
- learn how to support clients in creating a deep awareness of values, beliefs and identity to enable them to navigate change
- learn about the key tools to use with clients that are experiencing personal or organisational change
- learn solution-focused and appreciative coaching approaches
- develop a repertoire of tools and techniques for working with coachees at deeper levels to unlock barriers and help them reach their potential
- learn how to work creatively with resistance to change during a coaching programme
- continue to learn how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing
During this half-day module, you will learn how to work with clients who are experiencing challenges with workload stress and pressure. You will also explore techniques from the field of positive psychology to enable your coaching clients to thrive and flourish within their work and lives.
This module explores:
- key concepts and approaches from Positive Psychology and how these can be used to support clients to become more resilient and to enhance their wellbeing
- the neuropsychology of stress and how to enable clients to work well under pressure
- how to build a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for developing resilience and wellbeing
- how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 6: Coaching Career and Transition
This half-day module develops your capacity to work with clients who are exploring current and future career options. You will learn specific career coaching techniques and approaches to enable you to develop career coaching 1-2-1 programmes. We will also develop your capability as a coach to support leaders undergoing role and career transitions.
This module explores:
- core career coaching techniques and tools
- key challenges leaders face when in transition
- coaching interventions when working with clients in transition
- how to develop a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for supporting career and transition
- how to learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 7: Coaching Confidence
This half-day module explores the concept of leadership derailers and equips you to work with clients' unresourceful traits. You will also develop your awareness of relational dynamics and apply this within coaching conversations. Finally, you will explore specific techniques to develop your clients' self regard.
In this module we explore:
- how to work with presenting character traits such as 'imposter syndrome'
- core models from Transactional Analysis which can be applied to a coaching relationship
- core coaching interventions for helping clients develop confidence
- developing a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for supporting confidence work
- learning how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 8: Coaching and Mindfulness
This module comprises 4 x 1 hour sessions over a 4 week period, and aims to deepen your presence and way of being as a coach.
You will learn critical practises to manage your own energy and self-care. You will explore your own thinking patterns and learn processes for dis-identification to maximise your performance when coaching. Finally, you will enhance your capacity to use 'self as instrument' within coaching sessions.
In this module we explore:
- developing presence and impact as a coach
- how to build the capacity to recognise 'autopilot' and the 'doing' mode of coaching
- how to shift into a being and present state as a coach
- becoming more aware of one's own energy and how to 'shift' this before, during and after a session
- shifting from a thinking and conceptual way of interacting to a sensing and embodied way of listening
- developing 'self as instrument' through embodied practices
- practices to support presence during a coaching session, especially when impacted by the presenting material or client
- developing the capacity to work with one's own thoughts and managing this interference in the ability to be present
- key practices for self-care and resilience as a coach.
Module 9: Embodied Coaching
During this 2-day module you will deepen your self awareness of reactive patterns when coaching, especially during moments of pressure in the coaching session. We work with centering techniques to regulate your capacity to effectively respond and maximise impact.
We will further enhance your capacity for embodied listening and working with 'self as instrument' to deepen your coachee's insight and action. We also explore resourcing techniques to use with coaching clients.
We will develop your 'psychological mindedness' working with the unconscious relational dynamics present within conversations, learning how to recognise these and managing your own state.
Finally, you will learn and apply a presence based coaching model.
In this module we explore:
- a presence-based coaching approach to enhance client's learning and development
- developing a level of presence that invites their coachee into a calm, clear and resourceful state where they can fully benefit from their coaching
- how to return to a centred, resourceful state when under pressure
- recognising our own "signature stress response" and discovering how this impacts us in our coaching work
- developing a greater capacity of centred listening
- cultivating the capacity to be courageous by offering challenge in an authentic and respectful way
- how to recognise the unconscious relational dynamics within coaching and understanding how to skilfully manage these
- how to develop a capacity to engage in difficult interactions and conversations with greater calm, clarity and inclusivity
- recognising the role of coach as an instrument for change
- supporting clients in developing their own presence and resourcefulness
- continuing to learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 10: Transformational Coach Integration Day
The final module aims to provide you with an inspiring day to help you acknowledge and celebrate the development journey you have undertaken so far as a coach whilst on this programme.
The morning of the workshop focuses on the practical assessment of your coaching against the EMCC Practitioner Level Competencies. In the afternoon we explore key topics such as coaching ethics and endings as well as reflecting on your new identity as a coach.
In this module, you will:
- be assessed on your current level of coaching capability
- learn how to effectively end a coaching relationship
- explore the importance of ethical practise as a coach
- reflect upon your development journey whilst undertaking this programme
- explore your identity and purpose as a coach at the end of the programme.
On successful completion of this programme, you will receive a Diploma in Transformational Coaching from us.
Our programmes are accredited by the EMCC European Quality Award (EQA). This is the benchmark quality standard for mentoring/coaching training programmes – it ensures that successful students meet the research-based competence standards presented in the EMCC Competency Framework at the Practitoner level.
Our programme will also enable you to obtain the European Individual Award (EIA) with the European Mentoring Coaching Council (EMCC). This will either be at the Foundation or Practitioner Level dependent on your prior experience in coaching. This will be discussed with you by one of our team when you apply for the programme. We are one of the first coach training providers in the UK to offer this accreditation.
Dates, venue and fees
Cohort 2 - NOW FULLY BOOKED
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals of Coaching - 15 and 16 January 2019 (London, 2 days)
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 4 February 2019, half day, online
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge - 27 February 2019, half day, online
Module 4: Coaching for Change - 12 and 13 March 2019 (London, 2 days)
Module 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing - 25 March 2019, half day, online
Module 6: Coaching Career and Transition - 8 April 2019, half day, online
Module 7: Coaching Confidence - 29 April 2019, half day, online
Module 8: Coaching and Mindfulness - 4 x 1 hour online sessions, commencing on 7 May 2019
Module 9: Embodied Coaching - 25 and 26 June 2019 (London, 2 days)
Transformational Coach Integration Day - 5 September 2019 (London, 1 day)
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals 21 and 22 May 2019
Virtual session 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence 11 June 2019, half day, online
Virtual session 3: Coaching and Challenge 3 July 2019, half day, online
Module 4: Coaching for Change 23 and 24 July 2019
Virtual session 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing 2 September 2019, half day, online
Virtual session 6: Coaching Career and Transition 7 October 2019, half day, online
Virtual module 7: Coaching confidence :28 October 2019, half day, online
Virtual session 8: Coaching and Mindfulness 4 x 1 hour online sessions, commencing on 4 November 2019
Module 9: Embodied Coaching 3 and 4 December 2019
Transformational CI day: 30 January 2020
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals - 8 and 9 October 2019
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 18 November 2019, half day, online
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge - 17 December 2019, half day, online
Module 4: Coaching for Change - 8 and 9 January 2020
Module 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing - 3 February 2020, half day, online
Module 6: Coaching Career and Transition - 9 March 2020, half day, online
Module 7: Coaching Confidence - 20 April 2020, half day, online
Module 8: Coaching and Mindfulness - 4 x 1 hour online sessions, commencing on 2 June 2020
Module 9: Embodied Coaching - 14 and 15 July 2020 (London, 2 days)
Transformational Coach Integration Day - 8 September 2020 (London, 1 day)
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals - 3 and 4 March 2020
Virtual session 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence - 20 April 2020, half day, online
Virtual session 3: Coaching and Challenge - 1 June 2020 half day, online
Module 4: Coaching for Change - 16 and 17 July 2020
Virtual session 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing - 7 September 2020, half day, online
Virtual session 6: Coaching Career and Transition - 5 October 2020 half day, online
Virtual module 7: Coaching confidence - 9 November 2020 2-5pm
Virtual session 8: Coaching and Mindfulness - 4 x 1 hour evening virtual sessions: 23 Nov 2020, 30 Nov 2020, 7 Dec 2020, 4 Dec 2020
Module 9: Embodied Coaching - 26 and 27 January 2021
Transformational CI day - 16 March 2021
The course is a blended programme which mixes both face-to-face training and online sessions. Face-to-face training takes place in Central London, in a comfortable boutique-style venue. Online modules are live group learning sessions conducted by a member of our faculty.
The fee for this programme is £4000 + VAT. Please familiarise yourself with the course terms and conditions, including payment and refund policies, before applying - and if you have any queries at all, please don't hesitate to contact us.
You may also be interested in our EMCC Senior Practitioner Level programme (Advanced Diploma in Transformational Coaching).