Online Diploma in Transformational Coaching
“I think that was one of the best, if not the best training sessions I have ever attended. I was a bit apprehensive how it would be as it was to be delivered online. To my surprise, after 5 minutes of the training, I forgot that it was all virtual. Liz and Damion were wonderful and engaged everyone in their discussions and practices. Logistically, it was top notch too. It went smoothly, much better than some face-to-face sessions I have attended before. Most importantly, the atmosphere they managed to create during those two days was incredible. Kind, trustworthy, compassionate and non-judgemental.”
— Course participant
At Catalyst 14, we have been delivering highly effective online experiential learning programmes since our inception. Due to advances in learning technology — and our belief that coaches need to be effective at working online — our courses and events have always made extensive use of virtual learning environments. We work interactively and experientially in the virtual setting, and our coaches practice their coaching online and receive feedback from our faculty team.
Sustainability of our planet is also an important value for us, and so we are proud to now offer our flagship coach training programme — the Diploma in Transformational Coaching — delivered completely online. This is an intimate, highly impactful development experience where you will learn the art of coaching so that you can work both virtually and face-to-face.
Please note that places on this course are strictly limited — early application is advised to avoid disappointment.
“This is the moment when what we need most is enough people with the skill, heart and wisdom to help us pull ourselves back from the edge of breakdown and onto a different path.”
— C .Otto. Scharmer
An online course for people who are passionate about becoming a professional leadership coach
This online EMCC-accredited online Diploma in Coaching is our flagship programme, and is aimed at people who
- are passionate about developing and supporting others, and
- wish to develop as a professional coach (internally or externally).
This programme has a maximum of 12-15 participants, supported by 2 of our Core Faculty — making this a highly impactful virtual learning programme.
Participants receive the EMCC Practitioner Level Qualification upon completing the course.
We currently have a 90% submission rate and 100% pass rate for Diploma portfolios.
By completing this 14-month programme you will:
- develop deep levels of self-awareness, presence and resourcefulness as a coach
- learn how to build, manage and end an effective coaching contract and relationship with a coachee and client organisation
- understand how to manage expectations and the boundaries of coaching
- develop a range of coaching approaches to meet the needs of individual clients and maximise impact and change
- learn about key transformational coaching skills and psychological models, and be able to use these in a coaching relationship to improve learning, outcomes and behavioural change
- develop in-depth capacity to work virtually and face-to-face as a professional 1-2-1 coach
- build a coaching toolkit to enable you to meet critical coaching needs within organisations
- learn how to apply a wide variety of psychological concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in clients and enable personal change
- develop against the EMCC Practitioner Level coach competencies and be assessed against these
- become accredited in a Leadership 360-degree feedback tool
- build confidence and appreciation of your own coaching style through repeated practice and feedback from our Faculty and fellow participants
- identify your own coaching framework, approach and style
- understand and take responsibility for your own ethical and professional practice as a coach, via participation in regular coaching supervision and CPD
- become accredited at Foundation or Practitioner Level European Individual Award (EIA) with the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC).
“I started the transformational diploma at Catalyst 14 a broken husk spat out of a 25-year-old career looking for a new direction. I am nearing the end of the course with new confidence, a breadth, depth and sophistication of skills beyond my wildest expectations and a burning desire to not only coach but also work with businesses to help them with restructuring. Damion and the team are intuitive, wildly knowledgeable, always human and exude a warmth and good humour that enhance their ambition, rigour and utter dedication to the profession they serve.”
— Diploma in Transformational Coaching Participant
Our online Diploma in Transformational Coaching programme includes:
- Pre-programme 1-2-1 session with your Personal Tutor
In order to prepare you for the programme, clarify any concerns and to enable you to set personal objectives, you will take part in a pre-course virtual 1-2-1 session. This provides an effective way to introduce you to your Course Tutor and the requirements of the programme; and to assess your prior experience for accreditation purposes.
- Emotional Intelligence self-assessment
As part of the pre-programme 1-2-1 session, you will also receive an emotional intelligence self-assessment (EQi) that you will complete as part of your preparatory work. We believe Emotional Intelligence is an important capacity underpinning coach training.
- Group introduction and online classroom orientation (1-hour session)
- 10 Experiential Modules within 5 development blocks
Our online sessions are offered as ‘development blocks’ — this format comes from our experiences of delivering online courses and harnessing the dynamics of a virtual learning group. Our 3-day modules include Thursday and Friday (09:00 -17:00 each day) and Saturday (09.00 – 13.00). The content for each development block is outlined further down this page (see the ‘Modules’ section).Our modules cover specific coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduce key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a coach. They also seek to teach you the skills, techniques, and models of transformational coaching to develop your ability to work in increasingly challenging situations. Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and the application in a working context.
- Workplace coaching practice
Throughout the programme, you will be expected to identify and formally coach a number of clients outside of the workshops. For this level of accreditation, you will complete 50 hours of coaching practice.
- Undertaking 1-2-1 Coaching
We believe that to be a good coach you need to have experienced the development journey of being a coachee. It is for this reason we will ask you to be coached and you will receive six 1-hour virtual coaching sessions whilst on the programme.
- Faculty feedback
You will be observed on each of the modules and will receive written faculty feedback against the 8 EMCC competence areas at Practitioner level. You will also have the opportunity to record and review your coaching sessions whilst coaching on the modules.
- Accreditation in a Leadership 360 Feedback tool
- Practical coaching assessment
On the final module you will be assessed by a member of our faculty against the eight competence areas at Practitioner Level. This assessment is to give you confidence in your future work as a coach.
- Post-programme session
A post-programme session takes place after the completion of the final module (Transformational Coach Integration Day). This enables you to reflect on your learning over the course of the programme. It will also provide you with guidance on the creation and completion of your assessed portfolio of learning, including the assignments.
- Portfolio of learning
A portfolio of learning is a requirement of this programme and provides evidence of your learning and development against the EMCC Competence framework at Practitioner level. It also includes evidence of your development journey, experience and learning from your coaching practice, as well as written assignments.
Our modules are split into 5 development blocks, outlined below. They cover specific coaching topics in a variety of learning styles, introduce key concepts and provide a forum for discussing best practice and the critical conversations that need to take place for you to learn, perform and enjoy being a coach.
They also seek to teach you the skills, techniques, and models of transformational coaching to develop your ability to work in increasingly challenging situations. Each workshop combines elements of theory, demonstration and role modelling, practice and discussion about the practical implications of using the new skills and the application in a working context.
We are very focused on developing a strong learning group on our online programmes to support the experiential nature of this programme. This is one of the key reasons our online Diploma course is structured in these development blocks, as based on our experience we have found this is the most impactful way virtually to build the learning group and our participants’ capability as professional coaches.
Below you’ll find a full list of all the modules on this programme — just click on a module title to view more details.
Development Block 1 – Foundations (3 days online)
Module 1: Introduction to the Fundamentals of Coaching
Our first 2-day module introduces you to the background of coaching and the key fields which have influenced its growth and practice today. You will then learn the fundamental pillars of great coaching conversations and how to effectively structure and facilitate a conversation with a coachee. Critical coaching skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning will be developed too.
Building on the foundational elements of day one, we then cover key areas such as coaching styles, boundaries and critically developing an effective coaching relationship with clients. We also explore the importance of contracting during the coaching relationship. Finally, we discuss the reflective practice and accreditation requirements for the programme.
By completing this module, you will:
- develop core coaching knowledge, skills and behaviours
learn how to facilitate a conversation using behavioural coaching models
- apply a range of coaching styles in a conversation to maximise performance and impact
- learn key skills such as embodied listening and insightful questioning
- explore how to prepare yourself and clients for a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- understand the boundaries of a coaching relationship and how to manage these
- apply insights from neuropsychology to the coaching relationship
- learn how to develop an effective coaching relationship and a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- understand how to deliver highly impactful virtual coaching sessions
- develop an understanding of the importance of contracting throughout the coaching relationship
- explore the importance of supervision within coaching
- learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning
Module 2: Coaching Emotional Intelligence
During this half-day module you will explore the concept of emotional intelligence, applying this both to your own development as a coach and your work with leaders. We will focus on the concept of developing self awareness, and look at the interventions coaches can utilise to develop this within their clients. We also explore the use of 360 degree feedback within coaching programmes, and you will be accredited to use our Leadership 360 Feedback tool.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore the concept of emotional intelligence and its relevance to workplace coaching
- understand how to develop an emotional intelligence coaching programme with a client
- learn about the different concepts and tools which generate self-awareness in clients
- explore the use of 360 degree feedback tools within leadership coaching and learn how to utilise these instruments effectively and pragmatically within a 1-2-1 coaching programme
- become accredited in the ‘Insightful Leader’ 360 Feedback tool.
Module 3: Coaching and Challenge
This half-day module will help you work with resistance to behavioural change and support clients in sustaining learning and action between coaching sessions. We also explore the concept of challenge within a coaching conversation and practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee. We also deepen your understanding and capacity of working with emotions within coaching to enable change, insight and outcomes.
By completing this module, you will:
- explore a number of different concepts and tools, which generate personal insights in others and enable personal change
- understand potential resistance to behavioural change and the brain-based approaches to work with this
- deepen participants’ capability to work with emotion in a coaching session
- explore the use of challenge to create greater insight and development stretch
- practise interventions to increase the level of development stretch experienced by the coachee
- learn how to use practical tools which enable the coachee to sustain their development outside of the coaching session.
Development Block 2 – Core (3 days online)
Module 4: Coaching for Change
The focus of this 2-day module initially shifts to creating a deeper self-awareness of who you are becoming, and how you are developing as a practitioner in identifying preferences and opportunities for potential and growth.
We will then develop your capability to coach at a deeper level by working with your coachee’s values and beliefs and use models for behavioural, personal and organisational change.
We also develop your capacity to use creative techniques for generating new awareness, insight and options. Finally, we expand your repertoire of coaching approaches by integrating appreciative and solution-focused models.
Over the course of this 2-day module, you will:
- explore the concept of the ‘inner game’
- learn how to support clients in creating a deep awareness of values, beliefs and identity to enable them to navigate change
- learn about the key tools to use with clients that are experiencing personal or organisational change
- learn solution-focused and appreciative coaching approaches
- develop a repertoire of tools and techniques for working with coachees at deeper levels to unlock barriers and help them reach their potential
- learn how to work creatively with resistance to change during a coaching programme
- continue to learn how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 5: Coaching for Resilience and Wellbeing
During this half-day module, you will learn how to work with clients who are experiencing challenges with workload stress and pressure. You will also explore techniques from the field of positive psychology to enable your coaching clients to thrive and flourish within their work and lives.
This module explores:
- key concepts and approaches from Positive Psychology and how these can be used to support clients to become more resilient and to enhance their wellbeing
- the neuropsychology of stress and how to enable clients to work well under pressure
- how to build a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for developing resilience and wellbeing
- how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 6: Coaching Career and Transition
This half-day module develops your capacity to work with clients who are exploring current and future career options. You will learn specific career coaching techniques and approaches to enable you to develop career coaching 1-2-1 programmes. We will also develop your capability as a coach to support leaders undergoing role and career transitions.
This module explores:
- core career coaching techniques and tools
- key challenges leaders face when in transition
- coaching interventions when working with clients in transition
- how to develop a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for supporting career and transition
- how to learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Development block 3 – Presence (4 x 1 hour sessions)
Module 7: Coaching and Mindfulness
This module comprises 4 x 1 hour sessions over a 4 week period, and aims to deepen your presence and way of being as a coach.
You will learn critical practises to manage your own energy and self-care. You will explore your own thinking patterns and learn processes for dis-identification to maximise your performance when coaching. Finally, you will enhance your capacity to use ‘self as instrument’ within coaching sessions.
In this module we explore:
- developing presence and impact as a coach
- how to build the capacity to recognise ‘autopilot’ and the ‘doing’ mode of coaching
- how to shift into a being and present state as a coach
- becoming more aware of one’s own energy and how to ‘shift’ this before, during and after a session
- shifting from a thinking and conceptual way of interacting to a sensing and embodied way of listening
- developing ‘self as instrument’ through embodied practices
- practices to support presence during a coaching session, especially when impacted by the presenting material or client
- developing the capacity to work with one’s own thoughts and managing this interference in the ability to be present
- key practices for self-care and resilience as a coach.
Development Block 4 — Advanced (3 days online)
Module 8: Coaching Confidence
This half-day module explores the concept of leadership derailers and equips you to work with clients’ unresourceful traits. You will also develop your awareness of relational dynamics and apply this within coaching conversations. Finally, you will explore specific techniques to develop your clients’ self regard.
In this module we explore:
- how to work with presenting character traits such as ‘imposter syndrome’
- core models from Transactional Analysis which can be applied to a coaching relationship
- core coaching interventions for helping clients develop confidence
- developing a coaching toolkit / 1-2-1 coaching programme for supporting confidence work
- learning how to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Module 9: Embodied Coaching
During this 2-day module you will deepen your self awareness of reactive patterns when coaching, especially during moments of pressure in the coaching session. We’ll work with centering techniques to regulate your capacity to effectively respond and maximise impact.
We will further enhance your capacity for embodied listening and working with ‘self as instrument’ to deepen your coachee’s insight and action. We’ll also explore resourcing techniques to use with coaching clients.
We will develop your ‘psychological mindedness’ working with the unconscious relational dynamics present within conversations, learning how to recognise these and managing your own state.
Finally, you will learn how to use imagery and apply a presence-based coaching model.
In this module we explore:
- a presence-based coaching approach to enhance client’s learning and development
- developing a level of presence that invites their coachee into a calm, clear and resourceful state where they can fully benefit from their coaching
- how to return to a centred, resourceful state when under pressure
- developing a greater capacity of centred listening
- how to recognise the unconscious relational dynamics within coaching and understanding how to skilfully manage these
- how to develop a capacity to engage in difficult interactions and conversations with greater calm, clarity and inclusivity
- the use and impact of imagery within the coaching session
- recognising the role of coach as an instrument for change
- continuing to learn to self-reflect and appraise coaching capabilities to identify areas for personal development in coaching, and plan for new learning.
Development Block 5 — Integration (1 day online + 1 group call)
Module 10: Transformational Coach Integration Day / Post-programme group session
The final module aims to provide you with an inspiring day to help you acknowledge and celebrate the development journey you have undertaken so far as a coach whilst on this programme.
The morning of the workshop focuses on the practical assessment of your coaching against the EMCC Practitioner Level Competencies. In the afternoon we explore key topics such as coaching ethics and endings as well as reflecting on your new identity as a coach.
In this module, you will:
- be assessed on your current level of coaching capability
- learn how to effectively end a coaching relationship
- explore the importance of ethical practise as a coach
- reflect upon your development journey whilst undertaking this programme
- explore your identity and purpose as a coach at the end of the programme.
Post-programme group session
A post-programme session takes place after the completion of the Transformational Coach Integration Day. This enables you to reflect on your learning over the course of the programme. It will also provide you with guidance on the creation and completion of your assessed portfolio of learning, including the assignments.
On successful completion of this programme, you will receive a Diploma in Transformational Coaching from us.
Our programmes are accredited by the EMCC European Quality Award (EQA). This is the benchmark quality standard for mentoring/coaching training programmes – it ensures that successful students meet the research-based competence standards presented in the EMCC Competency Framework at the Practitioner level.
Our programme will also enable you to obtain the European Individual Award (EIA) with the European Mentoring Coaching Council (EMCC). This will either be at the Foundation or Practitioner Level dependent on your prior experience in coaching. This will be discussed with you by one of our team when you apply for the programme. We are one of the first coach training providers in the UK to offer this accreditation.
Click here to read more about the benefits of EIA >>
Having an EIA award distinguishes individuals as a professional mentor/coach, with sound underpinning knowledge and the ability to demonstrate ability against demanding and rigorous standards.
- provides users/buyers of mentoring and coaching services greater certainty of one’s competence and ability
- raises personal credibility and professional standing
- demonstrates the awarded individual is continually developing and always improving his/her mentoring/coaching ability
- raises the credibility and standards of our profession
- is more than a qualification – it recognises that EIA Holders are able to apply good practice in mentoring/coaching
- provides a framework for personal development.
You will also be registered on the EMCC’s website as a professionally accredited coach.
Dates and fees
Cohort 1 – FULLY BOOKED (WAITING LIST CLOSED)
- Block 1: Foundations — 21, 22, 23 January 2021
- Block 2: Core — 15,16,17 April 2021
- Block 3: Presence — 7, 14, 21, 28 June 2021 (3-4pm)
- Block 4: Advanced — 16, 17, 18 September 2021
- Block 5: Integration — Integration day is on 20 January 2022, post-programme call is on 28 February 2022
June 2021 Cohort — FULLY BOOKED (WAITING LIST CLOSED)
- Block 1: Foundations — 10, 11, 12 June 2021
- Block 2: Core — 2,3, 4 September 2021
- Block 3: Presence — 5,12,19,26 November 2021 (3-4pm)
- Block 4: Advanced — 3, 4, 5 February 2022
- Block 5: Integration: Integration day — 12 May 2022
January 2022 Cohort
- Block 1: Foundations — 27, 28, 29 January 2022
- Block 2: Core — 28, 29, 30 April 2022
- Block 3: Presence — 13, 20, 27 June; 4 July 2022 (3-4pm)
- Block 4: Advanced — 22, 23, 24 September 2022
- Block 5: Integration: Integration day — 19 January 2023
June 2022 Cohort
- Block 1: Foundations — 9, 10, 11 June 2022
- Block 2: Core — 8,9,10 September 2022
- Block 3: Presence — 7, 14, 21, 28 November 2022 (3-4pm)
- Block 4: Advanced — 2, 3, 4 February 2023
- Block 5: Integration: Integration day – 12 May 2023
The fee for this programme is £4000 + VAT. Please familiarise yourself with the course terms and conditions, including payment and refund policies, before applying – and if you have any queries at all, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
This price includes all EMCC accreditation costs (EQA and EIA).
Get Free Coaching and Mindfulness ResourcesJoin our community for free and get a host of free resources, including our guide to becoming a professional coach, access to our coaching webinars, a free mindfulness e-kit and much more.
“The most significant aspect is the quality of the facilitators. They are exceptional. The quality of delivery and feedback from them was of an incredibly high standard. ”
— Course participant
“The faculty is brilliant, and the course engaging and easy to follow. The live demonstrations between them were a mini master class and extremely helpful. Overall a terrific and exciting experience. I feel I am very much in “the right place” in terms of the professional learning; huge respect for the faculty and feel privileged to have been learning there.”
— Course participant
“The faculty is fabulous – so knowledgeable and such masters in their fields. It was like an art watching them doing the practical sessions for us to observe. They were also incredibly approachable – so forthcoming and helpful with advice and support. I am so delighted I booked onto the Catalyst 14 programme.”
— Course participant
“We learnt so many brilliant tools and from the experiential learning side, we were able to experience first hand the power and impact. It is always fascinating watching the demonstrations of the techniques – giving us an excellent understanding and appreciation of what we are working towards.”
— Course participant
“I was surprised how straightforward it was to do the work online, and the breakout rooms allowed for reflection time and genuine growth in working partnerships with others on the course and skill development.”
— Course participant